Here's a recipe I wrote down on December 11, 201 when grandma made a batch of fermented rice wine. I thought I'd taken some photos of the process too, but I can't find them. I'll add them later if they turn up.
This wine takes 2 days to prepare and 3 -5 days to ferment, depending on the season.
- 5lb premium sweet rice
- 1" ball of wine yeast
- 2 cups boiling water
- cheese cloth
- a large clean jar, flashed clean with boiling water
- a spoonful of flour
NOTE: all instruments used in this process must be super clean. Even one drop of oil can ruin this whole process. Flash every utensil you use with boiling water before using it.
- The night before:
- make 5+ cups of sweet rice
- boil 2 cups of water, set aside and covered until the next morning.
- strain rice through cheese cloth and strainer, adding the 2 cups of water.
- get rid of the clumps using chop sticks
- break apart 1 ball (1” diameter) of wine yeast
- combine the yeast with rice one batch at a time
- put the rice in a large jar with lid
- save a bit of the yeast. make a small hole in the top of the rice and add yeast and a spoonful of flour.